©2019 by West Volusia Humane Society. Proudly created with Wix.com

      The West Volusia Humane Society is a NO kill shelter that has been in Deland, Florida since the 1950's. In October of 1955, five DeLand residents banded together to do something about the stray animal situation in the area, seeing that there was no animal control here at that time.  In June of 1956, the State of Florida issued to the DeLand Humane Society a charter as a not-for-profit corporation. The purpose being the protection of all animals.
      Mrs. Ruth Beadette was the first President. After a while Mrs. Beadette resigned, and the other members of the Board started a drive to raise money to build a shelter. Up to that time they were working with converted chicken coops. Stray animals were picked up, and no animals were refused.
      Edith Sweetser became President. She announced that the county was willing to give the Society a 99 year lease on 3 acres of County owned land.  In 1958, ground was broken for the shelter. Together with Mrs. Sweetser, Sally Morrow turned the first shovel of dirt.
The dedication and formal opening of the new building took place in December 1958. On that day County Commissioner Stone presented a quick-claim deed for the 3 acres to Miss Sweetser. At that time the shelter consisted of 12 kennels with outside runs, a room for cat cages with an enclosed play area for cats, and a room with storage space, an office, a dip tub and toilet facilities, 150 yards from the kennels were temporary cages for isolation.
      During the first year of operation, 990 animals were handled. In 1964, the DeLand Humane Society was deeded more acres by the County.
      In 1970, the DeLand Humane Society changed its name to the West Volusia Humane Society. That name more clearly depicted its area of service. On August 5, 1970 the name change was officially recognized by the State of Florida.
      Many changes have happened over the years since the shelter began.  Today, our president, Enos Gaudet, has helped to organize and make many of the changes we’ve made today, and our new director, Tray Black, has really begun to start a new chapter in the life and animals of our Little Shelter with a Big Heart.  We are on a beautiful property with a large yard for spending time with our animals.  There is plenty of shade from our large and historic oak trees.                                              We would love for you to come out and see us... 

 

About Us: